See FUS Patient Experiences
Want to Know If You’re a Candidate?
Am I a Good Candidate?
To be considered for focused ultrasound, a woman must be negative for each of the following factors. Additional medical criteria should be determined by a physician:
- Any reason to avoid MRI, weight more than 250 pounds, unable to lie on your stomach
- Surgical scar, clips, or IUD in the path of the ultrasound waves
- Abnormal PAP smear within 1 year, acute pelvic infection, uterine cancer, post-menopausal
- Pregnant or desiring to become pregnant (this factor is under review, with reversal expected)
- Uterus larger than a 6 month pregnancy, severe anemia.
The next step requires evaluation of the fibroids – whether their number, size, calcification, and location make MRgFUS a treatment of choice. If MRgFUS is not for you, an alternative treatment will be recommended. These include hysterectomy, myomectomy, uterine artery embolization (UAE), and hormone therapy.